Drinking Water

For more information:

Submit a CitizenSupport Ticket (Category: Water Bills)

Contact the Utility Clerk.

The City of Selkirk’s Public Water System provides potable drinking water to approximately 10,278 residents, according to the 2016 census.  City Staff at Selkirk’s Water Treatment Plant take great pride in ensuring the city’s water meets all health and aesthetic objectives, which are regulated by the Province of Manitoba.

There are 4 wells located within the City that provide water for the treatment process and an additional well is being sourced in St. Andrews to ensure that Selkirk residents have an ample water supply.

To learn more about the water treatment process, click Water Treatment Process

Every year, the City of Selkirk is required by law to submit a report to the Province that details our water treatment process, certification of operators and any major disruptions to the system.  To view the most recent Public Water System Annual Report, please click Public Water System Annual Report

Weekends or after 4:30 p.m. Emergency Line – (204) 785-4949

If your call is not immediately answered, please leave a message and you will receive a call back promptly.

The City of Selkirk sells portable bulk water to commercial and residential customers.

The bulk water station is located at the Water Tower at the corner of Jemima Street and McLean Avenue. Customers are required to contact the Water Treatment Plant operators at (204) 785-4940 or (204) 785-3943 to access to the bulk water station.

Bulk water rates are set by the Public Utilities Board (PUB).  Current rates are $2.60 per cubic meter.  For any quantity the minimum charge will be $20.00. In addition a $20.00 service charge PER FILL to a maximum of $60.00 per day will be charged.

Environmental stewardship is one of the City of Selkirk’s priorities in its Strategic Plan. We encourage all citizens to conserve water. Here are some tips to help you conserve and save some money on your water bills at the same time.

  • Consider a low-flush or dual flush toilet,which can save 40% of the water used per flush.
  • Use less water in the tub or take shorter showers.
  • Install water efficient showerheads.
  • When shaving, or brushing your teeth, don’t leave the water running.
  • Watering lawns/gardens at night decreases evaporation.
  • Wash only full loads of laundry.
  • Buy dishwashers or clothing washers that conserve water use.
  • Check every faucet. A slow drip can waste 70 to 90 litres per day – that’s about 30,000 litres per year.

For more information on water conservation, click Canadian Water and Wastewater Association

Meter reading

A water meter accurately measures the amount of water you use. Reading your water meter allows you to monitor the amount of water you use and can help you discover leaks in your plumbing.

How to read your water meter

First which type of meter do you have?


Digital 1

Digital 2

  • Locate your water meter. They are normally found in basements or crawl spaces.
  • If your meter has a lid, lift it. (see types above)
  • When you read your meter, write down every number from left to right exactly as it appears on the “odometer style” display of your meter’s dial. This includes all zeros at the beginning and the black number(s) at the end.
  • You can now use this meter reading to compare to your last water bill if that read “actual” for meter type and see how much you have consumed since the last meter read date.

To avoid estimated bills and ensure you only pay for the water you use, check your utility bills regularly for the meter reading type under the section labelled “Meter Reading and Usage Details this bill” found on the top right hand side or your utility bill.

Did you receive an estimated bill?

Submit a CitizenSupport ticket (Category: Water Billing) and provide us with:

  • your meter reading
  • the date of the reading
  • your account number
  • your service address
  • the customer name

You are required to pay the estimated bill unless you provide an actual water meter reading. Depending on the last water meter reading, we may need to make an appointment to read the meter before adjusting an estimated bill.

Read your water meter regularly or your money could go down the drain.

Regular meter readings can help you save money and avoid high bills by alerting you to unusual increases in the amount of water you use. They also assist in the early detection of costly water waste and plumbing leaks. Check your plumbing fixtures regularly and fix any dripping taps or faulty toilets. Plumbing leaks can be very costly.

Are you moving?

You need to give us an initial or final meter reading when you’re moving into or out of a residence.

Meter sizes

  • Meter sizes range from 5/8″ to 6 inches.
  • Meter size refers to opening of the meter where the water enters.
  • Meter size is determined based on the maximum consumption demand of all plumbing fixtures to be installed in the building. For more information on water meter sizing, contact the City’s Operations Department at 204-785-4930.

New meter installation

  • We will turn on the water and install a new water meter at the cost to the consumer under the following conditions:
    • The building must have a control valve installed where the meter will go.
    • The area must be accessible and be heated in the winter.
    • The shut-off valve at the property line must be operational and at grade.
    • All plumbing must be installed according to code.
  • Meter sizes supplied and installed by the City include:
    • 5/8″, 3/4″ and 1-inch meters (include gaskets and tail pieces)
    • 1 ½”, 2″, 3″, 4″ and 6-inch meters (include gaskets, nuts, bolts and companion flanges)
  • For water meter installation requirements, please contact the City’s Operations Department at 204-785-4930.

Moving a meter

  • Meters may be moved at the customer’s expense.
  • Before you contact a plumber, contact us by submitting a CitizenSupport ticket (Category:
  • We require a drawing of your planned installation.
  • The new location of your water meter must meet our installation details.

Removing a meter

  • We will remove a meter without installing a new meter if:
    • you have abandoned your water service pipe
    • you have purchased a demolition permit and taken out a permit so the water service pipe can be reused
    • the meter is installed on a seasonal water service pipe
  • You must submit a CitizenSupport to have the water turned off and to remove your meter.

Leaky meters

  • During hot summer months, condensation may form on cold water meters and the surrounding piping, giving the appearance of a leak.
  • Brass meter connections (tail pieces) found on 5/8 to one inch meters may leak if disturbed. Meter connections are the property of the City and are repaired at no cost.
  • Meter leaks should be reported immediately to prevent property damage and water loss. Preventing leaks in your home will save you money on your utility bill.
  • Water meter leaks may be controlled by closing the shut off valve by the meter.
  • You are responsible for and own the control valve and surrounding piping. Contact a plumber for valve problems or leaks inside your property.
  • If repairs are required and the meter needs to be moved please contact the City’s Operations Department at 204-785-4930.

Frozen meters

Every winter, a few Selkirk residents will experience freezing water pipes.  Often, frozen lines and pipes can be avoided with some simple proactive steps in your home.

Learn more about how to prevent freezing as well as what to do when you have received a notice from the City or if your pipes are already frozen.

  • Meters can leak if they are exposed to sub-zero temperatures.
  • To prevent frost damage, ensure the area near the meter is well heated or the meter and surrounding piping are well insulated.
  • If a water meter is damaged, we will replace the meter at your expense.

Meter testing

  • New meters are tested at random for quality control before being installed.
  • The dial hand and register move as water passes through the meter.
  • High consumption readings are most often caused by internal household leaks from toilets and taps.
  • If you think you have a faulty meter, you can request that your meter be checked for accuracy. There is a charge for this service. See the Water and Sewer Rates  By-Law 5252 (Clause 10) for meter testing costs and more information.